Genshin Impact Ultimate Beginner’s Guide! What You Need to Know Before Starting

Every player must try Genshin Impact once. This interesting game can be played on Android, iOS, PS4, Windows, and PS5, with a Nintendo Switch version in the works.

The most interesting fact about this widely played game is it’s unique game playstyle and mechanics, in which players can use elemental magic and can also switch between various characters in different combats. One thing to notice is its regular update system, which keeps its players interested in upcoming events.

The main story of Genshin Impact is associated with a traveler who is wandering in search of his lost siblings. 

Here are some important details as well as tips for Genshin Impact:

Genshin Impact Important Events You Should Know

Image Credit: miHoYo

Genshin Impact events are like exciting adventures filled with stories, challenges, and free rewards. They’re a goldmine for players who don’t spend much. You can grab characters, weapons, and resources to level up without spending real money. Some special events come with game updates and are open to players at a certain adventure rank. Here are some important events you should know about:

Event NameFeatured CharactersEvent HighlightsUnique Rewards
Unreconciled StarsScaramouche, Mona, FischlMysterious meteors, Dragonspine lore, and FischlEvent-exclusive items, lore
The Chalk Prince and the DragonAlbedo, SucroseFocus on Albedo, Event-exclusive weaponFestering Desire weapon
Lantern RiteXiaoChinese New Year celebration, Liyue 4-star characterMora, Primogems, and character materials
Invitation of WindblumeVentiWindblume festival, Minigames, Event-exclusive weaponWindblume Ode bow, gadget
Midsummer Island AdventureKleeNew island region, Submerged islands, ActivitiesA free weapon for Klee

Best Characters to Choose as a Beginner in Genshin Impact

When starting Genshin Impact, choosing the right characters is crucial for beginners. Look for characters with simple mechanics, synergy, and versatile skills to ease your Genshin impact journey. 

Here are some beginner-friendly characters with which you can start initially:

  1. Diluc: 5-star Pyro user who excels in AoE damage and self-healing when low on HP.
  2. Klee: 5-star Pyro user, ideal for AoE damage with powerful attacks for group clearing.
  3. Amber: 4-star Electro user, excels in crowd control with AoE attacks to weaken and slow enemies.
  4. Fischl: 5-star Electro user, great for ranged damage and stunning foes from a distance.
  5. Mona: 5-star Hydro user, excellent support with healing and shielding abilities for party survival.

One of the pitfalls most players encountered early on was trying to build too many characters simultaneously. Here’s what you should need to do:

Avoid Character Overload

  • Focus on Two DPS Characters: Instead of spreading your resources thin, concentrate on two main DPS (Damage per second), characters. This allows you to build a strong foundation for your teams.
  • Build Two Teams: Create two balanced teams around your chosen DPS characters. This will help you tackle various challenges in the game effectively.
  • Master Eight Characters First: Invest all your efforts into these eight characters until you’re satisfied with their development. Then, consider expanding your roster.

How Pity System Works In Genshin Impact

Image Credit: miHoYo

In Genshin Impact, you’ll find that characters and weapons are obtained through a Pity System (Also known as Gacha system). They come in different rarities, like 3-star, 4-star, or 5-star. The Pity System ensures that after a set number of rolls, you’re guaranteed to receive a high-rarity item, typically a 4 or 5-star weapon or character, depending on the banner you’re rolling on. So, there’s a bit of luck involved in getting the ones you want.

Genshin Impact Banner and Its Types

In Genshin Impact, banners are how you spend your Fate currency to make wishes for characters and weapons. Let’s go through each individually:

1) Character Event Wish

In Genshin Impact, the “Character Event Wish” banner is your gateway to obtaining specific characters. Here’s how it works:

  • You have a guaranteed chance to obtain a 5-star character within 90 wishes.
  • Soft pity begins to influence your pulls around the 60-70 wish range, greatly increasing your odds of landing a 5-star character.
  • During the first pity, there is a 50-50 chance of obtaining the featured character or a random 5-star character from the general pool.
  • Achieving the second pity (Within 90 wishes), guarantees the featured character without any ambiguity.

2) Weapon Event Wish

The “Weapon Event Wish” banner primarily focuses on weapon pulls. Here are the details:

  • After approximately 80 wishes, you are guaranteed a 5-star weapon.
  • Similar to other banners, the soft pity mechanism becomes more influential as you approach the 80-wish mark.
  • When you reach soft pity, there’s an 80% chance of obtaining one of the featured weapons and a 20% chance of getting any random 5-star weapon in the game.

3) Standard Wish

The “Standard Wish” banner serves as the baseline for all players. Here’s how it operates:

  • After 90 wishes, you are guaranteed to receive a 5-star character or weapon.
  • Soft pity, which starts to have a significant impact around the 60-70 wish range, significantly increases your chances of obtaining a 5-star reward.

What Is Elemental Resonance In Genshin Impact?

Elemental Resonance in Genshin Impact is a critical aspect of team composition. By pairing characters with the same elemental affinity, you unlock powerful bonuses that can shape your gameplay. Whether you want increased damage output, greater defense, or improved mobility, Elemental Resonance offers versatile advantages that can be tailored to your preferred playstyle.

Elemental ResonanceEffect
Fervent Flames (Pyro)Cryo time reduced by 40%, ATK +25%.
Enduring Rock (Geo)Shield strength +15%, DMG increase, & lower enemy Geo RES.
Sprawling Greenery (Dendro)+50 Elemental Mastery; Elemental Mastery buffs after specific reactions.
Impetuous Winds (Anemo)-15% Stamina Consumption, +10% Movement SPD, -5% Skill Cooldown.
Shattering Ice (Cryo)Electro time reduced by 40%, +15% CRIT Rate vs. Frozen or Cryo-affected foes.
Soothing Waters (Hydro)Pyro time reduced by 40%, +25% max HP.
High Voltage (Electro)Hydro time reduced by 40%, 100% chance to generate Electro Elemental Particle (CD: 5s) with specific reactions.
Protective Canopy (4 unique elements)+15% Elemental RES, +15% Physical RES.

Be Cautious with In-Game Purchases

While Genshin Impact is free-to-play, it’s crucial to exercise caution when considering spending real money on in-game purchases.

Here are some important considerations:

Enjoy the Game First: Play the game without spending money initially to determine if you truly enjoy it.

Spend What You Can Afford: Only spend money that you can comfortably part with. Imagine if the money were torn in half and discarded; Would you be okay with it?

Value for Money

If you decide to spend, consider these options:

Battle Pass: The 10-level battle pass can be worthwhile if you can consistently reach level 30, as it provides valuable resources.

Welcome Moon: For $5, it offers 90 Primo Gems daily for 30 days, making it a cost-effective option for regular players.

The Challenge of Artifact Farming

Image Credit: miHoYo

Artifact farming in Genshin Impact is essential for improving your character’s stats. It’s a bit like a Gacha system, offering uncertain rewards. To enhance your artifacts, you can reroll them using the Strongbox, combine them, or craft them for better stats.

While spending Original Resin in domains and defeating weekly bosses is the easiest way to obtain high-quality artifacts, resin regenerates slowly. Another effective method is collecting treasure chests, although they are limited and will eventually be depleted.

To farm artifacts at your own pace in Genshin Impact, you have two primary options:

  • Interact with specific Investigation Points.
  • Defeat elite enemies in the hopes of obtaining artifacts.

Spending Wisely

Genshin Impact can lure players into spending money, particularly for characters they end up not using. To navigate this temptation, prioritize characters you genuinely like and plan to use in your adventures. It’s a valuable lesson to pull wisely, resisting the urge to collect every character, especially if you’re not a content creator like some players. By doing so, you can make more informed and satisfying choices when it comes to enhancing your gaming experience without breaking your Free-to-Play status.

Utilizing the Interactive Map

Image Credit: miHoYo

Enhance your Genshin Impact journey by taking advantage of the Genshin Impact Interactive Map. This allows you to effortlessly locate essential collectables such as Anemoculus, which are crucial for stamina upgrades. Starting early and using this interactive map can significantly improve your efficiency in tracking down these valuable items, making your adventure in Teyvat much smoother and more rewarding.

OS: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit or higher

Processor: Intel Core i7 or equivalent

Memory: 16 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB or higher

DirectX: 11

Storage: More than 68 GB

Image Credit: miHoYo

These are the PC requirements for Genshin Impact.

Genshin Impact Download Launcher Screenshot 

These are the key insights you should know before starting on your Genshin Impact journey.

If you’re reading this guide, let us know in the comments what one thing you wish you had known before starting Genshin Impact. Your feedback can help others too.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *